Sunday, February 1, 2009

Still praying for the Herrera's and their extended family

For some reason I can't get this family off my mind. I simply can't imagine the pain the parents must be going through. It's difficult to wrap my mind around it.

It brings back memories of the numbness our family experienced. I don't know how we would've gotten throught those days if it wasn't for family. I think Catholics have it right. I think every family should be big. It's times like these that big families, especially big, close families really mean something.

Oddly, in some ways those early days when we first lost Denise were easier. There was plenty of family around wanting to do all they good. Also those early days were easier because we were in a state of numbness and the pain wasn't as keen and sharp. Now that it's been over a year since we lost Denise, the reality has set in and it all comes down to adjusting. The anger is still very acute.

I simply can't imagine losing two babies. And IMO those two little children were still just babies.

After a while, family tends to back off. They (it seems to me) run out of ideas of what to do and how to help. I imagine they feel, after a while, almost clueless as to how to help. After a time, people wonder what to say. I think, they expect you to start getting over it. I don't think I could ever get over losing two children the way the Herrera's lost their two children. It was so sudden and so senseless.

If I thought my faith was tested imagine how Susan and Jorge Herrera's faith is tested. Hopefully their faith is much stronger than mine was when we lost Denise. Hopefully this family doesn't have the anger issues my family has. Anger just adds more pain to an already painful situation.

As humble as they are I offer my prayers up for this family.