Monday, February 23, 2009

A simply horrible task at hand

I don't know if I can do it.

While packing boxes and cleaning out closets we came across all the newspapers since Denise died last January 2008. It's a stack about 3 and half feet tall.

We asked Nate what he wanted to do with them.

He said he wanted them all laminated but we can't afford to do that and even so I'd still have to face the task at hand.

He asked me to cut all the articles out. I said sure. Not thinking how awful it would be. I decided I had plenty of plastic sleeves for binders and they could go in there. Plus while they are in San Diego and Sue (Denise's mom) was taking care of the kids, I'd have plenty of time.

Well..... I just started.

Let's see. She died and was taken January 17. The first newspaper articles ran January 18. I'm only on January 19 and already I'm crying.

And I'm not even reading the articles. I'm just cutting them out. But all the pictures! Nathan, the babies, Denise and MICHAEL KING. As if he deserves to be on the same page taking up the same print as Denise and Nathan.

The January 19 headline is: "WHY WAS DENISE LEE TAKEN?"

Yes. That's the magic question. Why?

The other day I found some of Denise's clothes in a closet. They are still sitting there. I didn't know what to do with them.

sigh