Sunday, May 31, 2009

No comment but saved for posterity

Charlotte Sun (Port Charlotte, FL)


May 29, 2009



Sheriff, Sun got it wrong



Editor:
I wish to thank the Sun for their colorful and always entertaining editorial this Saturday.

I guess it is no secret anymore that the Sun is not a member of the Sheriff Bill Cameron fan club. I can live with that. But I can't live with the Sun wrongfully reporting that I ever pitted the Sheriff's Office against the fire department. It was the Sun that did that.

I merely had to supply them with public records they requested, as did the fire department. They wrote the story their way. I am afraid that the Sun's attempt to create conflict between the deputies and firefighters won't work. We are now and have always been brothers and sisters and we support each other on and off the street every day, and the Sun won't change that.

And I am sorry that the Sun can't sell headlines of conflict between the County Commission and the sheriff like they used to.

Our five commissioners and I are not just colleagues, we are friends, and we work together very well. And that is another thing the Sun can't change.

The Sun did get a few things right. Yes, our Sheriff's Office is very lean. Yes, your safety is the most important function of government. Definitely yes, the Sun should not be in the law enforcement business.

And absolutely yes, you elected me knowing I would fight to keep you safe, and I promise I will. Please continue to support your deputies and firefighters. They need you now more than ever.

And my recommendation to the editorial managers of the Sun, you need to get out more. Because it would appear that I may not be the one that is out of touch with our community. And even though we may agree to disagree, as always, I appreciate the work your paper does for our community.

Sheriff Bill Cameron

Punta Gorda