Sunday, March 22, 2009

Olidia Kerr Day

I promised myself earlier that I would blog about Olidia Kerr Day and her family today. I feel such a connection to this story. From what I understand, Olidia saved her children and her family that day just as Denise saved Noah and Adam.

Olidia Kerr Day was a lovely woman living in SE Florida. Her tragedy parallels Denise's in a couple of ways.

First, she got the killer as far away from her family as she possibly could. What a hero.

Second, because she was using a cell phone things didn't go as she expected them to.

Because we're using old technology and not using the technology available precious minutes were lost in saving her life. Her 9-1-1 call went to the wrong police station.

She was begging for directions to the closest police station but because the dispatcher continued to ask questions as opposed to answering questions, Olidia didn't get the directions she needed.

She was eventually gunned down right outside the police station doors. The gunman then turned the gun on himself.

Was it Olidia's fault or the 9-1-1 dispatchers fault? All I know is that the system needs to change. I do know Olidia could've been saved had things been handled differently.

I'm not posting the video because in the video you actually see the murder.

Full story and transcript here along with audio if desired:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-dispatch-call-0511,0,5814602.story

Memorial website here:

http://olidia-viera-kerr-day.memory-of.com/About.aspx

Wasn't she a beautiful woman? It's simply heartbreaking. It's just wrong. What is wrong with our society? And why? why? why? The why's are endless.

Nathan was able to meet her son when they were both on Dr Phil a few months ago. I've been in some contact with her sister. But truly, what can you say? "sorry for your loss"..... just seems too trite.

God bless her family with much love and peace. I'm at such a loss with words.