Wednesday, June 17, 2009

from Dispatch Monthly On-Line

Link: http://www.911dispatch.com/db/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2577&Itemid=1

Sheriff Lays Off Entire Comm Center Staff

Saturday, June 13 2009

Budget cuts have forced the Marion County (Ohio) sheriff to lay off all six of the comm center dispatchers, replacing them with deputies. Sheriff Tim Bailey told a reporter, "I don't see a loss in service or the quality of service. If somebody calls with an emergency, we will answer it and someone will be there." County commissioners asked department heads to cut 6% from their budgets to make up a $2.6 million deficit. Bailey said he trimmed $80,000 from fuel and training, but needed another $92,050 in savings, which he obtained from the dispatcher cuts. The lay-offs are effective July 1st.

My opinion:

Mark seems to think that since I have so many opinions, I really should post a disclaimer stating that my opinions are not necessarily the same as the foundations. This is true. My opinions are my own. So, now that I said that, I'd like to say, this is awful and the sheriff sadly is going to have a reality check. Sadly, that reality check is probably going to be a tragedy.