Thursday, March 19, 2009

Denise Amber Lee Foundation goes to Washington DC (part one)

I gotta tell you, I've been contemplating this post all day. What to write? There was so much happening at such a fast pace it's difficult to know where to begin. So? I'll begin with family.

My family

I can't say enough about my family and how thrilled I was to see them. Monday afternoon we decided (Mark and I) to go on up to Havre de Grace to see my parents who I hadn't seen since Denise's funeral. At that time things were so emotional and so numbing that it's difficult to even remember. So much happened during those first few days after Denise's body was found that the remembrance of the time with my family (who ALL showed up except Danny who was serving in Iraq) is almost blurred.

My parents have aged, especially my dad, so much! Dad physically. Mom mentally. Dad is having an horrific time with his legs. He's so weak or is it pain? Mom looks wonderful physically and has actually lost quite a bit of weight and looks fantastic! But mentally is struggling. She has Alzheimers.

We happened to be exhausted. We had gotten up at 4 AM to catch a 6:30 AM flight. I decided to take a nap. I just laid down in an upstairs bedroom and lo and behold by just looking out the window, who did I see? Emily? Was that my niece Emily getting out of a car and Chris my younger sister? Sure enough! I was so surprised!!!!! Gosh... Words can't express my wonder that they were there. I'm sure you are all thinking that I'm just being nice but I'm not. It meant the world to me. I'm tearring up just thinking about it. Emily lives is Philadelphia and Chris lives is Valparaiso, IL. Chris had changed flights so she could see us. Emily expressed a desire so Christy got her and brought her down.

There went the nap. But who needed a nap??? I was so thrilled to see them.

You have to understand. I come from a very large family. My parents had 10 kids in total. There is always a crowd around. To have one-on-one time with any of them is considered a special treat. One-on-one communication is a valued commodity in my family. At least to me and Mark.

We were going out to eat at a favorite restaurant and Emily rode with us. Hah! She was trapped in the backseat with us. Mark and I loved it and we drilled her with questions. Poor sweetheart. She held up to the inquisition very well. But then she's an Ivy League graduate who graduated on a full ride. She tests well. No. Seriously. Emily is such a sweet person. She's a nurse. And her patients I'm sure are blessed.

Chris (my sister) is alway such a laugh. She's not laughable. It's when we get together! We just laugh! Out of all my sister's, Christy generates genuine laughter in me. We saw, Ann (an older sister) later that night who just had me rolling in the aisles but Christy knows how to lighten any situation.

will continue with part two tomorrow. Let's end part one by saying I am truly blessed. I'm not "close" to any of my siblings. I don't chat daily or even email daily with any of the nine. I'm not buddy buddy with any of them. I was a middle child and never had a "favorite". Hopefully they all know how much I love each and every one of them. There's not one I don't appreciate or not think highly of.